Monday, May 11, 2009

MyFordDreams to bail out FoMoCo?

Linked in the title is an article at Bloomberg.com anouncing that Ford is taking advantage of the uptick on their stock price and the generally posative prospects by issuing another 300 million shares of stock. They'll use this influx of cash to avoid government assitance and to help fund the VEBA employee benefit obligation. As you can see here in this chart Ford's stock has been on a roller coaster over the last year, trading from a 52 week low of $1.01 per share to a high of $8.37, and is now trading around $6.08. Ford started taking steps before the economy tanked, raising money by mortgaging everything, including the iconic Blue Oval logo itself. And while that was risky, it's paid off. And even Ford's anouncement of $.14 billion losses seemed like a breat of fresh air to Wall Street, in light of GM's $6.6 billion and Toyota's $7 billion losses.
I've never invested in stocks directly, but If I can, I'm going to scrape a few bucks together and buy a token few shares of FoMoCo stock. If for no other reason than to put my money where my mouth is. In all honesty I feel it's going to turn into a smart choice. I can't afford to buy much and have never bought stock in the past, but I'm going to seriously look into this.

No comments: