Saturday, May 16, 2009

Ford Eco Boost, Explorer America & Edge

The Ford Edge is a nice vehicle. It's not perfect, but what is. I see a lot of these on the road these days, so I'll give Ford credit for coming up with something people want. But I can't help thinking they could benefit from better fuel economy, not that they're gas guzzlers, but what about a new Eco Boost powerplant. Not the twin turbo 3.5 V-6 from the Taurus SHO, Lincoln MKS and MKT, but the 2.0 Eco Boost I-4 from the Explorer America concept.

At the 2008 New York Auto Show, I saw this on the turntable, the Explorer America concept.
And the spokesperson was saying it was going to be car based and powered by an Eco Boost 2.0 I-4 producing about 200 hp. And with the recent article over at PickupTrucks.com about a possible Eco Boost powered Ranger replacement ( 1.8 L making 175 hp ) it had me thinking how this Explorer America or the Edge would do with a 2.0 Eco Boost. I guess we could just look at the VW Tiguan, since it's a cute ute with a 2.0 Turbo 4 from the GTI.
Just wondering on a lazy Saturday. Eco Boost technology is supposed to spread across much of the FoMoCo lineup over the coming years. It makes sense, scales of economy for the turbo systems, a lowering of the CAFE for the brand all without loosing usable power and lowering emissions. I realize the EcoBoost will filter down from the pricer models down to the rest of the lineup, and I look forward to seeing how long that will take. Turbo Charging combined with Direct Gasoline Injection is no longer new technology, Audi, Mazda, VW and GM have had it on the market for a short while and GM's Chevy Cruze is suposedly coming to the US with a turbo direct injected 1.4L.

No comments: