Thursday, March 29, 2007

Ford Shelby GT500KR What's going to make this King of the Road?

I found this over at Jalopnik, and I wonder what's going to make the new GT500KR better than last year's GT500? Is it finally going to get an IRS? Is there going to be more than 500 hp? What's going to make them King of the Road? And what's it going to cost? The GT500 is impressive, there's no doubt about that, but there is room for improvement. I doubt Ford is going to give it the IRS it so sorely needs.

Is this just another way to screw Mustang enthusiasts?? Is this just old money bags Carrol Shelby cashing in again?

I know you're thinking "what kind of Mustang enthusiast are you Joe?" Well, I'm one that's sick of half hearted efforts on Ford's part. I'm also one of the rare enthusiasts that doesn't bow down and whorship at the altar of Shelby. While I respect the cars, he's just a man. Just the first of several to slap their name on the Mustang and overcharge for it. Saleen, Roush, Steeda, all Shelby clones a generation later.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've been to Steeda and they're nothing to write home about. No Steeda model has ever made a ripple in the Mustang continuum.

At their facility in Pompano Beach, I discovered the hard way that your car can get bumped off the installation cue for one of their own racing Mustangs.

Their short-throw shifters, adjustable strut plates, and adjustable clutch line don't stand out from their OEM counterparts.

Steeda and the others don't stand out from any experienced DIYer in his own garage. Beefing up what's already there, as opposed to reconfiguring the platform: AWD, IRS, disengaging supercharger, speed-sensitive lowering suspension, limited 4-wheel steering, etc.

Much ado about nothing.